(Maximum: 7 Guests/room)
(Maximum: 7 Guests/room)
Niagara Falls Weddings
Niagara Falls Weddings

Infinitely You

Niagara Falls Weddings FAQ

How do I obtain a marriage license in Ontario?

A license to marry may be obtained from the issuer of Marriage License at the Municipal Clerk’s Office, 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario (905-356-7521, Ext. 4283) between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM Monday to Friday. Both parties must complete and sign an Application Form. However if both parties are not able to come in to obtain the Marriage License, one person may bring in the completed application form signed by both parties along with the Birth Certificate and Photo I.D or Passport of the absent party. The fee for a marriage license is $125.00

Applicants present must provide identification in the form of:

  • Current Passport
  • Original Birth Certificate with one of the following:
    • Drivers License with Photo
    • Ontario Health Card
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Canadian Citizenship Card

There are no requirements respecting residency, premarital blood tests or medical certificates.
A marriage license is valid for use anywhere in Ontario. The license expires 3 months after the date of issue.

Who may perform a marriage ceremony?

A Marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by:

  • A minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage act
  • A judge or justice of the peace

Who may marry in Ontario?
Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry. No person under 16 years of age may marry. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may marry with the written consent of his/her legal guardian.

If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge, in Canada, to dispense with consent.

Is a blood test required?

Blood tests or medical certificates are not required in Ontario.

What is required if one or both of the Applicants have been Divorced in Canada?

If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in Canada, the Applicant is to file with the Clerk’s Office the original or a Court Certified Copy of their final divorce papers (Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute). A Divorce Judgment is not acceptable

What is Required if one or both of the Applicants have been Divorced outside of Canada?

If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the Applicant(s) must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:

  • A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.
  • A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted) or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.
  • A statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage Licences.
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario

What is required if I am a Widow/Widower?

Where a spouse has died, proof of death of the spouse must be provided if death occurred outside of the Province of Ontario.

Can I get married at City Hall?

No ceremonies are performed at City Hall. A Marriage Ceremony may be performed in Ontario by a minister or clergyman or justice of the peace registered under “The Marriage Act”. The ceremony is the responsibility of the Applicant’s.